curiousSCIENCEwriters (https://curioussciencewriters.org) is an innovative steAm initiative that trains high school communicators to bring complex science to the general public through the collaborative effort of writers, editors, artists and social media coordinators.
Applications are now being accepted for the 2019 Summer Program which includes a week-long boot camp in the DC/MD area for students currently in grades 10/11 followed by a month of writing under the guidance of a professional science communications mentor. https://curioussciencewriters.org/2019-program/
Learn More and Apply
Curious Science Writers 2019 Summer Program Description
- With guidance from professional communications mentors, students will research, write, edit, design and promote original bioscience stories for the public.
- Training includes learning the fundamentals of interviewing a scientist, analysis of exemplary science writing, skill building and practice in the entire process of story development.
- Participants will also learn how to find credible expert sources, apply biomedical ethics considerations, communicate risk, interpret statistics and more.
- Stories are then shared through a variety of outlets including the cSw website and Facebook page
COST: $450 – full and partial scholarships may be available.
- Application Period: Open until June 1, 2019
- Boot Camp: July 22 – 26, 2019. Daily program from 9 a.m. – 4 p.m. at the campus of the Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology (FASEB), Bethesda, MD. Lunch and snacks provided.
- Story Development: July 26 – August 26, 2019: *Working with a professional communications mentor, each writer will produce a carefully researched, clear and compelling biomedical science story for a general audience. These interactions will take place online (via email, Skype) or by telephone.
Candidates will be notified of acceptance within two weeks of the receipt of completed applications.
Download a Flyer to Share